Frequently Asked Questions - Discussion Forums
All JantaReview forum discussion must meet standards in these categories:
- Postings must be family-friendly.
- We do not allow objectionable language and images, including but not limited to profanity, obscenity, vulgarity, racial/ethnic slurs, hate speech, personal insults, hostile comments, and threatening language. All the standard curse words are banned (you know what they are), and we will remove messages that contain clever (or not clever) misspellings intended to circumvent our content filters.
- We will remove posts that promote or seek advice on engaging in illegal activities. This includes the purchase or sale of illegal substances (as per the laws of the destination); contributing to the delinquency of a minor; procuring fake IDs; purchase or sale of designer knock-offs, bootleg CDs, DVDs or video games and other black-market items; smuggling items through customs; and bribery of officials.
- We do not permit graphic descriptions of death or injury due to accidents, negligence, or criminal acts. As a result,
we will close or remove topics that describe violent crimes, accidental death, or serious injury.
- Self-promotion, advertisements, solicitation and SPAM are strictly prohibited.
We welcome referrals, recommendations, and critiques from our members and generally have no objection to the inclusion of links to business-related sites, commercial or personal. However, the content must be directly relevant to a discussion underway. If sharing a link (whether the related site is yours or not) or your contact information does not directly relate to and significantly benefit the category-related discussion at hand, then refrain from sharing it. Please take note of these special situations:
- Relevance to other Users
- All of the following topics will be removed or closed:
- People searches (looking for a long-lost friend or relative for example) or genealogical research.
- Calls for boycott of any business or destination.
- Social commentary, political debates, and religious discussions that have no direct relevance to the forum category.
- Petitions or calls for government action in local politics or criminal investigations.
- Personal ads and questions or advice on finding dates or sexual partners.
- Multiple messages containing identical or nearly identical text. This is considered spam and when we discover it, we will remove all copies.
- Harassment of other members will not be tolerated.
JantaReview encourages active discussions in our forums, even those about controversial topics, but the forums can only flourish if all members feel welcome and safe. If you can't offer friendly advice to a fellow user, it may be wiser to move along to the next thread.
We will not tolerate:
- Argumentative, off-topic exchanges
- Multiple messages targeting any member(s) for insults, attacks, or personal comments
- Challenges to another member's right to participate on our site
- Sarcastic asides and snide comments
- Allegations about a specific person or property on JantaReview. To give us your feedback on a specific person or business, you'll need to contact us directly.
- Business owners and representatives
We would never walk into your home and start posting ads for our web site, so don't do that to our community and us. Please refrain from posting commercial links and commercial or personal contact information for your business unless it is directly requested. Please do not proactively volunteer it. We encourage you to include information about your business in the "About Me" section of your profile page so that members can easily find more information about you or your business.
- As a business representative, you are a welcome and special guest on our forums. If you'd like to participate in a discussion related to your business or a competitor's business, we ask that you clearly state your affiliation as a representative. Our members are entitled to this information so that they can be aware of any potential bias in your comments. A simple statement like, "Hi, I'm John from XYZ Business," is sufficient disclosure.
- There are times when business representatives may want to join a conversation that is NOT directly related to their business. In these cases, we allow, but do not require, you to mention your affiliation with a specific business. Business representatives may NOT use this as an opportunity to solicit new clients, provide contact information, or post commercial links.
- We encourage you to post professional responses to comments regarding your business and to make a sincere effort to resolve complaints, but please do not use this as an opportunity to solicit new clients. Failure by business representatives to adhere to these guidelines may lead us to revoke your posting privileges.
- You must completely refrain from posting any critical comments about your competitors.
- JantaReview forums are not chat rooms.
Please help us keep the discussion forums as relevant as possible. We encourage you to use private messaging as the best way to check in with all of your forum buddies. Messages or threads that are not relevant to the topic of a particular forum are subject to closure or removal.
- Signatures on forum posts
- If you have a blog or other personal website, it's ok to link to it in your 'sign-off' or signature. For instance, this is ok:
We understand that many personal blogs now include paid advertisements. In these cases, you may still provide a blog link in your signature. However, you may not link to a strictly commercial website or a blog affiliated with or promoting any one property or business.
- Journalists soliciting members for research
- If you are a journalist performing research on a related subject, it is generally acceptable to post on
our forums in an effort to gather stories from real users. When asking the community to share their stories,
you must state that you are a journalist, give your full name, explain the purpose of your research, and divulge
the source (newspaper or online) with which you are affiliated. If possible, include a link to your bio or byline,
but please do not share your contact information in the JantaReview forums. Along the same lines,
do not ask members to share their contact information with you. To communicate with a member, simply ask them to
initiate contact with you through our private messaging system. For instance, you might say, 'Send me a private
message if you are interested in contributing.'
- Charitable Organizations
We welcome you to tell your fellow members about the organizations you support, but please keep in mind the following guidelines:
- You must add your charity's name and website link to your profile. You may also add your affiliation to the charity
if applicable. JantaReview reserves the right to request proof of documentation for your respective charity affiliation.
- When posting, do not include direct or indirect requests for donations or contributions.
- When posting, do not include links to charitable organizations.
- Do not post contact or personal information about other members without permission.
We ask all members to respect the privacy of others, and refrain from exposing the real names, home addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of other members. We do allow members to include the names and contact information of business representatives or property owners in their comments regarding that particular business, property or service.
Note: If you include your own personal information in a forum post, it will be viewed and potentially used by any and all who see it... including people you'd probably rather not hear from.
- Screen names
- Every person is limited to one screen name.
Consider your screen name to be your passport to the JantaReview forums. Every person is limited to one forums screen name; members with multiple screen names will be banned. Do not create screen names to impersonate other members or JantaReview staff or you'll quickly be deported from the forums.
- If you are an official representative of a business marketing organization on JantaReview, you may choose a screen name to reflect the name of your organization. (In fact, destination-marketing organizations are required to do this.) This is not considered self-promotion. However, we prohibit the inclusion of commercial links or contact information in your screen name.
- No misrepresentation of JantaReview's staff, policies, or procedures.
- False or speculative claims about JantaReview, our policies, and procedures will not be tolerated under any circumstances. Screen names and forum posts should not contain anything that would represent you as a member, representative, or ambassador of JantaReview staff. Private correspondence with JantaReview staff should not be reproduced, summarized, or discussed in the public forums unless JantaReview staff specifically requests it. Typically, if we want information to be public knowledge, a JantaReview staff member will post it, or we will publish it under an official JantaReview announcement, also known as a sticky topic.
- Feedback about JantaReview must be limited to the JantaReview Product and Services forum or communicated directly to JantaReview.
We love hearing your thoughts on how to make JantaReview better, but keep in mind that our forums are not the best place to share your comments. More importantly, we may not even see your comments in these forums, unless or until someone reports them to us as off-topic or inappropriate. Please visit the JantaReview Product and services forum to discuss your ideas.
- Please keep in mind that the JantaReview Product and Services forum is not the place to make allegations about specific people or properties on JantaReview. To let us know your feedback on a specific person or property, you'll need to contact us directly.
- Post carefully and respectfully, as posts cannot be edited.
This means you can't change your spelling, fix your grammar or take back any off-hand comments you may have made. A single profanity, hostile comment or personal insult - even in a well-considered post - can lead to the removal of a post.
- No posting copyrighted material or content published elsewhere.
We ask members not to post any information that they do not have permission to make available, including but not limited to: copyrighted material from any online or printed publication (news agencies, magazines, books, travel guides, television or radio program transcripts), trademarks, passwords, subscription/members-only discount codes, confidential information, or the intellectual property of any other individual or business.
This restriction includes reproduction of your own reviews, trip reports, travel advice, journals or blogs that you have previously published elsewhere, as well as content written by other authors. We seek to publish original content and avoid issues of ownership and copyright-infringement from any other source.
Posts with link spam will be removed.
- Age RequirementYou must be at least 13 years old to post.
- JantaReview reserves the right to remove any post for any reason.
We'd like to keep removal of posts to a minimum, but we will take the necessary action to keep our forums welcoming and conducive to helpful discussion.